If you want to dance in prison on Sundays you can attend the Basic Volunteer training that happens at DWCF usually on a Saturday in the middle of the month from 8a-2p. This will allow you to come to the prison any Sunday without having to go through a background check each time.
Fill out this APPLICATION:
This is a 6 hour training at the prison followed up by a 2 hour tour of the facility that takes place on the second tuesday of every month from 6-8p.
When You Become a Volunteer
- Wear a tee shirt and loose fitting pants and avoid wearing yellow, orange, green or red.
- Wear very comfortable, well supported sneakers!
- Bring a plastic water bottle and your ID
- Send us an email if you are joining us!
- We meet in the parking lot of alchemy at 12:30p to carpool and usually return by 4p.
How our Teacher-Trainings Work
Do you know of a women's prison that could benefit? Here's what to do:
1. Send us an email and let us know of your interest.
2. We mail (for free!) the interested prison a set of Dance 2B Free workout DVDs (7 classes, 50 minutes each) for the prison staff, recreation department, & inmates to review and experience for themselves.
3. If the DVDs generate interest, Dance 2B Free will begin talks to collaborate with the prison to bring a live Teacher Training program to the prison. D2BF brings the content, but D2BF relies on input from prison staff and inmates to create the best program for each prison's individual needs.
4. Inmates are certified as Dance 2B Free dance instructors which provides continued sense of purpose for those still in prison as they lead recreational dance classes and meaningful skills & work opportunities for the women after their release.
We're currently building our team! As we grow we are continually looking for talented volunteers and donors to help support and spread our mission of bringing the joy of movement into women’s prisons. We're particularly interested to collaborate with those who have experience in the non-profit and criminal justice fields, but your own unique talents might be just the right fit for our team. Please contact us if you'd like to contribute!